You can take this job and shove it...

Everything not directly about travel, but which a community of friends interested in travel would discuss... OT ramblings welcome here. No elite qualifications necessary to post!
Regina53

12 May 2014, 16:35 #1

Today is the first day of the rest of my life.
The job I took in September, 2012 was working out very well until some politics turned toxic early this year.  By the end of the week before last, it became clear that the situation was unsalvageable.  I had plenty of time to talk with Ron on our road trip last weekend to Des Moines, where we met our ADORABLE, SWEET-NATURED, PERFECT granddaughter for the first time.  But I digress.
A week ago I walked into the boss' office and told him that I'd been looking forward to seeing the project I was working on come to fruition, but that it looked like chances were slim and maybe it was time to discuss the conditions of my departure.  Relief flooded his face.  It was obvious.  We reached a reasonable agreement,  which I'm sure made them happy since they already have a lawsuit they're fighting with a 50-something woman they fired abruptly in December.  The usual- age and sex discrimination, retaliation, etc.  I asked about keeping the company iPhone.  They wanted $500.  I told them to keep it.
I've been working and saving my entire adult life.  I turned 61 in February and had hoped to work to 65, but our financial advisor is positively gushy about our prospects.  If Ron is still active and healthy, we're thinking Australia and NZ in September, 2015.  It was always on my bucket list for when I retired and had the time but I didn't know if Ron (who's 75 now) would be up for it.  God willing, he should be now.  I was supposed to work in the church community garden this AM but it rained, so I went over our investments, listed 5 things on e-Bay (let the de-cluttering start) and changed my LinkedIn profile pic to show me walking on the beach.  My new title is "Private Portfolio Manager".  I'm heading to the gym after lunch; I've got a sprint triathlon on Sunday so this is no time to get lazy.
This will eventually leak out on FaceBook, especially since I have a lot of contacts on LinkedIn who are also on FB, but I wanted to give all of you here a little more than the FB version- we've been through a lot together.

gtalum

12 May 2014, 17:52 #2

Now you'll have tons of time to properly spoil that granddaughter!
"I don't stand by anything!" - Don Trump

Jax Tom

12 May 2014, 21:52 #3

Congrats on the granddaughter and for knowing "when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em"
Better going on your terms than in an acrimonious battle, life is too short for that.  Most retirees I talk with don't know how they had time to work.  Enjoy the newest chapter of your life with Ron!
Tom

ORION

12 May 2014, 21:58 #4

Life is too short to spend time in a place where you are not happy.  I think you made the right decision.  Australia and New Zeeland sound good to me.  Additionally, Cape Town  is on my list.  There are so many places in this world to go and so many airlines that can take you there.  Pardon me, AA.  Enjoy your new freedom.
Last edited by ORION on 13 May 2014, 16:59, edited 1 time in total.

mapsmith

13 May 2014, 03:43 #5

Congratulations.   Wanna buy a map store for your retirement.  Australia would fit me I think. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Regina53

14 May 2014, 12:56 #6

Thanks, Mapsmith, but I do NOT want any commitments that require setting an alarm clock on a regular basis again!  This is only Day 3 but I'm starting to get used to freedom.  I'll always have a list (workout at the gym, a little housework, a little yardwork, de-cluttering, doing some good in the world) but no fixed schedule.  I like that.  Will probably join a Toastmasters Club and I've already agreed to be on the Discernment Committee for a great woman who's considering the Episcopal priesthood.  (We meet over several months with her to help her decide if it's her thing, then make a recommendation as to whether she should go forward with the process.)  I just ran a retirement calculator and it looks like, worst case, I'll have what I have now in 40 years.  In other words, I'm unlikely to outlive my savings.  That's a blessing.  (I should mention that I use the singular because I hope to have my wonderful husband around and healthy as long as possible, but he's 15 years older so I know the odds.)
To those of you who think you can control when you retire:  think again!

mangy7

14 May 2014, 15:34 #7

Congrats on the new lifestyle! I'm jealous!
I'm not sure how much longer my job will last, mostly due to loss of contracts and management's inablility to steer the ship. We need someone who knows how to run a business but that's a topic for another time.
My sister's hubby is the same age as yours, she's enjoying their time together. Know you and Ron will do the same.
Onward!!

mapsmith

15 May 2014, 04:16 #8

Maybe you can hook up with Marlene and her Cob House building experiences in Costa Rica?
What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Chipshot

16 May 2014, 00:51 #9

61, eh?  That's less than ten years away for me. I've never had a target date, though have always assumed working at least until after "Flora's" high school graduation.
Here's to you and Ron, and all of us, enjoying a long, healthy retirement with many adventures.  I look forward to reading about them.
Stupidity got us into this, can it get us out?

Globaliser

16 May 2014, 11:45 #10

Regina53 wrote:
Today is the first day of the rest of my life.
Congratulations! And best wishes for much enjoyment in the years ahead.
Although knowing you and your dedication, there is something that's suggesting to me that you won't actually be able to stop working altogether just yet - I bet you'll be finding some worthwhile things to do in the years to come, but dictating the amount of commitment you want to give to them!
Long-haul flying - how to sleep your way around the world.